Clear and simple guidance to help older people find their way through the care maze

information for care NHS coronavirus


Carers Allowance is £67.25 a week to help you look after someone with substantial caring needs. You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for. You must be 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for them. The person you care for must already receive one of a number of benefits including Personal Independence Payment (PIP) daily living component, Disability Living Allowance (DLA), the middle or highest care rate and Attendance Allowance. It is taxable and can affect other benefits.


Pension Credit is an income related benefit for pensioners living in Great Britain. It is made up of two different parts, Guarantee Credit and Savings Credit. Pension credit works by topping up your income  to a minimum guaranteed amount, which is currently £173.75 for a single person/£265.20 for a married couple. Pension Credit is a complex benefit as its assessment takes into account savings that you may have as well as your income.  Pension credit can be worth considerably more that its basic monetary amount as it opens the doors to other benefits such as council tax benefit.


Registered Nursing Care Contribution is payment made by the NHS to cover nursing care in a care home. To qualify the resident will have to be assessed, meet the criteria and reside in a care home with nursing . It is paid directly to the care provider whether you are self funding or your local authority are funding your care. It does not form part of your income for tax purposes.


NHS continuing healthcare is a package of care for people who have significant ongoing healthcare needs. It is arranged and funded by the NHS and is free. Most commonly NHS continuing healthcare is delivered in care homes but it can be delivered in your own home. Eligibility is assessed by specially trained healthcare professionals.


Council Tax Some people, including those classed as severely mentally impaired, can be completely disregarded for council tax purposes. This means they do not have to pay council tax, or they may pay a reduced rate. Disabled Band Reduction Scheme you may be eligible for the scheme if you live in a larger property than you would need if you or another occupant weren’t disabled for instance this could include a room that is mainly used by the person who is disabled, an extra bathroom or kitchen, or space inside the home so that a person can move around in a wheelchair. If this is the case the bill will be reduced to the rate of the next lowest council tax band.


Disabled Facilities Grant is a grant from your local authority if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home such as widen doors and installing ramps or improve access to rooms and facilities e.g. a stairlift or downstairs bathroom. This will not affect any benefits you receive.

The interaction between the help and support available from the state and the cost of providing the support you require can be complex. There are many organisations available who will help and advise the benefits, grants and support you are eligible for. Links to these organisations will be found on your local home page.

Next DSS

State Benefits

State Benefits and support. Below are state benefits and support that may be availble to help fund or provide improved facilities to care for and support you. This is only a brief overview. Links to relevant organisations will be provided in your local home page.


Attendance Allowance is a benefit to help with personal care because you’re physically or mentally disabled and you’re aged 65 or over. It is paid at 2 different rates Higher Rate £89.15, Lower Rate £59.70, this depends on the level of care you need. Other benefits you receive can increase if you get Attendance Allowance. If someone looks after you they may be able to claim Carer's Allowance if you receive Attendance Allowance. You cannot claim Attendance Allowance or it stops after 28 days in an NHS hospital or if you are in residential care funded by your local authority or the NHS.


You may already be receiving Disability Living Allowance (DLA) if you were awarded it before you were 65. You cannot make a new claim for DLA any longer. This has been replaced with Personal Independance Payment (PIP) which helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64.