Paying for Care

Social care isn't free, so it is likely you will have to pay something. How much will depend on your circumstances, your income and your assets.


The first step is to get an assessment of needs from your local council. This helps to decide the level of care you need and how much you should pay towards it.


Healthcare provided by the NHS is free but when older people require care the boundaries between healthcare and social care can become blurred, and NHS funding can appear complex.


If you have less than £23,250 you may get some financial support from your local council. In some circumstances the value of your home will be included in any financial assessment to establish who pays for your care. There are differences between receiving care in your own home and residential care.


If you are paying for care at home or in residential care, you or your family may be concerned about the consequences of your money running down. If so you may want to investigate different ways of paying for your care. There is lots of information on the internet, some of it is very good but you always run the risk of finding 'out of date' or inaccurate information. A local charity may be able to offer you some guidance and a good place to start is looking for organisations in in your area.


For more specialist advice it would be a good idea to speak to a dedicated care fees adviser. Care Fees Advice, or care fees planning, is a specialist type of financial advice, provided by financial advisers, who are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Usually this type of advice is sought when someone requires Long Term Care and are moving into a care home; sometimes people seek advice when looking for ways to fund care at home.