Social Services - The Needs Assessment

If you believe you have any care and support needs, you should contact your local authority to request a free needs assessment. You can contact them yourself, through your GP, or your carer. You shouldn't be refused an assessment because they believe your needs wouldn't qualify for support, or because of your financial circumstances.


In hospital, staff should alert Social Services (your local authority) if you are likely to need their services when you leave the hospital.  


A needs assessment will look at how you are managing day to day activities, it will consider the care and support needs you have and how they affect your wellbeing. It will also consider your mental wellbeing, understanding and decision-making.


If you qualify for local authority support they must provide you with a care and support plan. 


If you are not eligible for local authority support they must still provide you with information and advice about the care and support that is available locally to help you.

*This website currently covers the care system in England. There are differences in how care is delivered and funded in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. If you reside in either of these countries we would suggest a good starting point would be the Age UK offices for your country.  Please click the link Northern IrelandScotlandWales